Friday, May 1, 2009

Backpacking through Europe Itinerary (need opinions!)

Backpacking through Europe Itinerary (need opinions!)?
Hi, I recently bought a plane ticket to backpack through Europe from May 8-June 17, and I made up an itinerary. I just wanted to throw it out there and see if experienced travelers think it would be an okay itinerary: May 8: Overnight flight from Newark, NJ to Madrid May 9-13: Madrid. One day will include a trip to Segovia, and one day will include a trip to Toledo May 14-15: Santiago de Compostela (visiting a friend) May 16-17: Seville May 18: Granada May 19: Valencia May 20-23: Barcelona (a good, CHEAP day trip idea from Barcelona would be appreciated, just for me to think about....) May 24-25: Nice May 26-27: Lucerne (easyjet flight to Geneva, then on to Lucerne via direct train) May 28: Zurich May 29-May 31: Munich June 1: Pisa (ryanair flight Munich-Pisa) June 2: Milan June 3-7: Udine (with family) Including one day spent in Venice June 8-10: Florence June 11-12: Naples (Pompeii. Possibly one day for Pompeii/Naples City, one day for Capri--thoughts?) June 13-15: Rome June 16: Flight back to Madrid June 17: Return home -I know the Italy portion is very scattered, but the only Ryanair flight I could get from Munich to Italy was to Pisa, and it was easier and cheaper to fly via Ryanair than to worry about getting a train from Munich. That, combined with the fact that I need to visit my family in Udine the first weekend in June, is why I'm making sort of a loop around Italy instead of a straight line. -I've been to London and Paris before so I'm not looking to go anywhere in that region and am not looking for suggestions in that region of Europe. -I'll be getting early morning trains from Zurich to Munich, and from Pisa to Milan (some as early as 5:45 AM, ideally). I don't necessarily want to pay for a hostel (even though they're cheap) if I have to worry about checking out very early in the morning--I just don't think it's worth it for me to pay for a bed if I'll only be there really for a few hours. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what I can do all night until the trains run. Are these cities safe at night? Are there places open 24 hours where I could hang out and maybe read a book or something until my train, and then sleep on the train? If need be, I'll book a hostel, but it would save me for these two cities about 60 bucks to wait for the train instead of pay for a hostel...which is a lot when planning a backpacking trip. Thanks in advance for all the advice and suggestions...this is my first time embarking on an adventure like this and I'm really excited, but I want to make sure that it's well planned and thought out before I go, and I'm looking for opinions from anyone willing to offer their opinion. So thank you! :)
Other - Europe - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I'd try really hard to fit a day into Cordoba Spain too. Perhaps drop one of the days in Barcelona. It would be a shame to be in Southern Spain and miss Cordoba. Any particular reason you want to head to Munich at all? You're already in Northern Italy, and I'm DYING to go to Cinque Terre. I'd ditch Munich for that any day. You're planning a bit too much for my tastes ... but everyone travels differently, so if that's what you're comfortable with, then knock yourself out. I just like having the flexibility to stay in places I like, and spend less time in places that don't call out to me. But you're going to enjoy it. It's a great experience! Take loads of pictures, talk to people everywhere you go, and don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself trying the local language.

Search News